Lemieux vs. Saunders bout fixed for December 16

Category -
Boxing News
129

 

World Boxing Organization has ordered the mandatory defense of the WBO middleweight crown between Billy Joe Saunder and David Lemieux of Canada.

Saunders (25-0, 12 KOs), 28-years-old, won a 160 pound belt against Andy Lee in December 2015. Since then, he has made two defenses against Artur Akavov and Willie Monroe Jr in December and September 16 respectively.

Lemieux (38-3, 33 KOs), 28, of Montreal, has won four straight fights since October 2015 when he was stopped in eight round by Gennady Golovkin. In a contender for knockout of the year, he scored a third-round knockout of Curtis Stevens in March. This was followed by 10-round decision victory against Marcos Reyes on May 6.

The sanctioning organization has given 30 days till 09 November to Frank Warren, Saunder’s promoter to make a deal. If no deal is made by then, a purse bid will be ordered. However, if one of the parties is unsatisfied with the negotiation process, an immediate and a minimum bid of $200,000 can be requested. On the other hand, if the parties make a deal or the purse bid is done , the fight can be worth much more than the minimum bid amount with Saunders. Saunders, being the champion will receive 70 percent of the winning bid and Lemieux would get the remaining 30 percent.

Lemieus’s co promoter and manager Camille Estephan informed that the bout between Billy Joe Saunders and David Lemieux might be confirmed for December 16 at Bell place, Laval, Canada since the negotiation looks positive. It was expected that bigger budget would be required when the bout between Saunders vs. Lemieux was ordered. This was also seen as an opportunity to increase budget in such match.

Lemieux’s return is much awaited for December 16. Some potential opponents are already approved but everyone would rather see Saunders as Lemieusx’s opponent.

Share your views